How to make your own authentic chicken bhuna curry, from scratch at home.
This easy bhuna recipe uses simple ingredients of onions garlic, ginger, tomatoes and curry powder fried together to create a good medium spiced, dry bhuna sauce.
Add chunks of chicken breast or boneless thigh and as many green chillies as you like to make it spicy.
The best homemade curry, similar to what they serve in a traditional British Indian restaurant or takeaway.
How to make a Chicken Bhuna Curry?
We show you how to make the best Indian restaurant style chicken bhuna, with our easy step by step video.
Continue reading below for more information about what an authentic bhuna is, and how we adapt our recipe, making it suitable for UK and US homes to cook a good English Curry House style recipe from scratch.Jump to Recipe
Jump straight to the recipe by clicking above, to get cooking this fabulous curry straight away.
What is a Bhuna?
Traditional Bhuna originates from the Bengal region, a popular cooking method used in India and Pakistan.
An authentic cooking style whereby onion, garlic, ginger and spices are fried together in ghee or oil to make a thick rich dry sauce, before adding vegetables or meat.
Water is not usually added, keeping the bhuna sauce dry and thick. Served with coriander leaves (cilantro).
The ingredients you will need to make this homemade chicken bhuna are easy to find in any supermarket.
Onions, garlic, ginger, oil (or ghee), medium curry powder, tinned tomatoes, green chillies, chicken breast and coriander. The number of chillies used and adding water is optional.
It only takes 25 minutes to cook, so it is best to prep all your curry ingredients before you start cooking.
Our recipe card below gives you full step by steps to create the best homemade chicken bhuna. Here is a quick breakdown of what order to add your ingredients.
As mentioned earlier an authentic bhuna sauce has a dry thick and rich sauce with no water added.
However, we leave it up to you if you want to add water to make a bit more sauce then add it during the chicken cooking time.
Indian Side Dishes
Yes, this chicken bhuna recipe can be made ahead and in my opinion, it actually tastes even better the next day!
If making ahead or saving leftovers, store in an airtight container or bowl covered with cling film and use within 3 days
Yes, this chicken curry can be frozen. Allow to defrost before reheating.
Reheat in the microwave or in a pan until steaming hot throughout. Times will vary depending on how much you are warming up at once.
So there you have it, a homemade Indian takeaway style, chicken bhuna. Ready in only 30 minutes.
The perfect medium spiced curry, if you want it hotter you can also add some fresh chopped chillies on the top once served.
📖 Step by Step Recipe
Chicken Bhuna Curry
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil Ghee can be used instead
- 2 Onions diced
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoon Ginger grated
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Medium Curry Powder
- 2 Chicken Breasts cubed
- 2 Green Chillies Chopped- use 1 for medium or none for mild
- 3 tablespoon Coriander Leaves and stalks (cilantro) chopped
- Water optional - if you want sauce less dry
- Fry onions in oil over medium-low heat, stirring often. Cook until soft and golden, about 8 minutes.3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil, 2 Onions
- Add garlic and ginger, fry gently for 2 minutes.4 cloves Garlic, 2 teaspoon Ginger
- Add curry powder, stir through.2 tablespoon Medium Curry Powder
- Add chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- Once the sauce has thickened, add chopped green chillies.2 Green Chillies
- Add chicken and cook for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.2 Chicken Breasts
- A traditional bhuna no water should be added to make a thick dry sauce. However, if you find it too dry you can add some water whilst the chicken is cooking.Water
- Check the chicken is cooked through, then add chopped coriander (cilantro).3 tablespoon Coriander Leaves and stalks (cilantro)
- Serve with our coconut pilau rice.
More Curry Recipes
Or go check out Jack's Chicken Rogan Josh for a great rich medium spiced curry.